My birth story πŸ’œ

I didn’t naturally go into labour when having Ella, I was medically induced at 38 weeks due to several problems in my pregnancy they decided it was the safest option. I can remember the day my consultant told me I’d be having an induction of labour, I was scared and just didn’t know what to expect. The more they told me about the process the scarier it seemed, it surprised me as throughout my pregnancy id never really felt nervous about labour I was actually very excited for it. My consultant talked through all the risks with induction of labour, the procedures and how it would greater my chance of needing a emergency section. I was sat on the pregnancy day unit bit up on the ward on my own and I literally cried my eyes out, the thought of a section terrified me more than natural labour. Call it a mix of that and the hormones, wow did I struggle with my hormones at times. One minute I’d be really happy and the next I’d burst into tears over the slightest thing like not having any ice lollies in the house! My consultant also explained I would no longer be able to have a water birth, this was something I had put in my birth plan and I really wanted to experience. There was only 1 birthing pool at Rotherham Hospital, so I knew it would depend if it was in use or not when I went into labour. However due to being high risk and being induced, it is not something they allow unfortunately. But at this point all I wanted was my baby here safely, there’s always next time I thought. It was a Friday afternoon, so my consultant then gave me a telephone number and time to ring on Monday, which they would then give me a time I needed to go into hospital. They answered any questions I could think of at the time and gave me a leaflet on ‘the induction of labour’ which they recommended I had a little read of. It all started to become very real, I felt excited and nervous at the same time. But I was so ready to meet my precious baby girl πŸ’• 
My hospital bag had been packed for several weeks, very organised 1st time mummy, but I wanted to check everything over for the millionth time even so.

Monday 9th June 2014

I woke up Monday morning bright and early, I’d barely slept all night with excitement but that was nothing new I’d had weeks of very little sleep due to being pregnant and never able to get comfy. I rung up the hospital 8am on the dot and they gave me a time of 9am to arrive for, my bed was ready and waiting on the maternity ward. 

I arrived on the ward bags in toe, I was ready for this, I couldn’t wait to finally meet my little baby girl. What would she look like, how much would she weigh, what colour hair would she have? I would soon be finding out! 

Once I was comfortable the midwife came and explained the induction process to me, I think at this time I was convinced I would have gone into labour and given birth that same day so my partner Mark stayed with me and started his paternity leave straight away. Boy was I wrong…..
They started the labour induction with a pessary, it’s basically like a tampon type thing with a piece of string on the end, those who have been induced will know what I mean. They explained me and baby would be monitored at set times whilst I had the pessary in, but the times I wasn’t monitored I was encouraged to walk around the hospital and grounds to get things moving. I was to keep it in for 24 hours unless things progressed much quicker, they explained induction can go either way but generally takes longer in ladies who haven’t had a baby before.. so much for giving birth the same day. But off we went for a little walk, WOW the pressure in my pelvis was very intense I honestly felt like she was going to drop out there and then. I actually struggled to walk and ended up sat in the middle of a hospital corridor, the pressure was just so intense. Positively I thought something must definitely be happening and that it was a good sign things were working as they should be. 

Me and baby we’re monitored every few hours, checking babies pulse, contractions and they’d check my pulse and temperature as well. Throughout the day things seemed to be progressing slowly but well, baby was happy and that was all that mattered. 

That night we had a relaxing night on the ward, the midwife ran me a lovely lavender bath to help me relax and help with the pains before I went to sleep for the night. 

Tuesday 10th June 2014

The next morning things were pretty much the same as the day before, they examined me and decided due to my dilation I would need another pessary for 24 hours maybe less depending how things carried on progressing. I walked around the hospital again, read magazines, talked to mark and slept. I was starting to get fed up at this point, pressure in my pelvis and constant slow pain wasn’t what I expected.

 Unfortunately things didn’t get much better throughout the evening, the ward became much busier as there were a few emergencies on the labour ward so the doctors couldn’t get round until later on. 

Things started to get worrying around this point, I wasn’t feeling great at all, to be honest I put it down to being in slow labour all day and then waiting around all evening. But they put the monitor on us again to be on the safe side and discovered baby’s heart rate was very high, my pulse was also high and I had a extremely high temperature. They rushed us down to the labour suite in the room right behind the midwifes desk, apparently they use this room for ladies they need to keep a closer eye on, this scared me even more. It was a massive room, for Rotherham hospital I was quite impressed it was much bigger than the room we had seen on our antenatal tour a few weeks earlier. Once settled they monitored us again, checking my observations once again and someone was clearly watching over us that night as things had really settled down, we were safe and we were on the labour suite a few steps closer to meeting my darling baby girl πŸ’•

Wednesday 11th June 2014

The next morning came round, little did I know this day would become the best day of my life, the day that would change my life, the day I would finally meet my beautiful little girl, my first born πŸ’œπŸ’•πŸ‘ΆπŸΌ

My birthing partners were Ella’s daddy and my partner Mark and also my mum, as part of my birthing plan I had always wanted both of them there for the birth. I was introduced to my midwife Wendy who would hopefully deliver my baby girl and examined to see if my waters could be broken, they explained that if they could break my waters I would be placed on a drip which would bring on my contractions. They explained to me that women who are induced are also more likely to have an assisted delivery, where forceps or ventouse suction are used to help the baby out. They also mentioned that Induced labour is usually more painful than labour that starts on its own, and women who are induced are more likely to ask for an epidural. 

GREAT, as if I wasn’t nervous enough 😫

After my examination they decided my waters could be broken, so they proceeded to do so… It was the strangest feeling, I honestly felt like I was just sat there wetting myself, I don’t know why I felt embarrassed about something so silly there was worse to come. They popped me up on a drip designed to induce my contractions, from this point I was constantly monitored and wasn’t allowed to eat or drink other than clear fluids (water) I remember feeling absolutely gutted as my mum had just brought me lots of my favourite pregnancy foods. The midwifes kindly popped them in the fridge for me for later. 

For the first couple of hours things were happening but they were very slow, I started to feel I little fed up and wondered is this ever going to happen, am I going to even get my natural labour experience? The contractions finally started to get stronger and closer together and at this point I decided I needed some gas and air, I’d been warned before I’d either love it or hate it but wow that stuff is amazing I totally loved it! It’s not a method of pain relief as such, as in it doesn’t take the pain away but it distracts you and I just felt like I was floating. I was in my own little world which distracted me from the pain and allowed me to breath deaper. It was quite funny actually because I went into a rant at mark telling him he needed to ‘put the washing out now’ the things you say, typical me thinking about washing and nagging whilst in the middle of having a baby! As my labour progressed the pain was getting stronger and the contractions closer together, due to labour being more intense when induced and more painful (apparently) they recommended I had the epidural which I agreed to. The anethatist came quite quickly from what I can remember at this point, some parts are much a blur, however it took 2 attempts to get the epidural in. It didn’t hurt 1 bit, I can’t even remember feeling it if I’m honest, but if being in labour wasn’t a big enough distraction then I don’t know what was I guess! 

Unfortunately the epidural didn’t work properly, it worked on one side of my body but not on the other. My labour continued to progress quite quickly after this, the epidural wasn’t working properly so I was busy sucking on the gas and air like it was going out of fashion, pass me some now I loved that stuff! Some mummy’s I’ve spoke to absolutely hated it, but for me it was like a night out but without that horrible drunk feeling afterwards… few seconds off it and I’d feel back to my normal self again. 

Soon the contractions were coming thicker and faster, I knew I must be almost ready to push by this point. The midwife examined me again and confirmed I was 10cm dialated, it was time… by this point I was out of it and there is far too much going on to be nervous. 

The next part was when it all became a little too scary, I started pushing as the contractions ‘prompted’ me too, but as I was constantly monitered due to being on the drip for infection of labour they noticed baby’s heart rate was beginning to drop and they needed to check her oxygen levels. It’s all a blur from here if I’m honest I only remember parts from what mark and my mum told me afterwards, but a big red button was pressed and a million (or what felt like) consultants, nurses, midwifes etc rushed in. They took a spot of blood from my baby’s head to check her oxygen levels to determine how she was dealing with the labour and to check she wasn’t in any distress, once checking this they made the decision I needed to deliver her quickly if not naturally very soon then forceps or ventouse would be used to intervene. After my labour I could help but wonder if I could have done anything to help prevent her distress, but midwifes explained it natural to feel upset about it, but fetal distress can happen for all sorts of reasons, many of them beyond your control. My main thought was I was the most blessed lady in the world right now, I had my happy, healthy little girl in my arms and as long as I had her that was all that would ever matter πŸ’œπŸ’•πŸŒŽ

I managed to labour in the end with no intevention of forceps or ventouse which was such a relief to me, it was in those moments my little bundle of joy was born weighing 6lb 11oz at 17.46pm on 11th June 2014 πŸ’•πŸ‘ΆπŸΌ



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s